I finally got it to work today. It turns out there's a sort of hack you have to do to get it to work with certain wireless routers.
These directions work with "Edgy Eft":
1. Run System -> Administration -> Networking
2. The Networking Settings panel pops up.
3. Highlight your Wireless Connection and choose "Properties."
4. Make sure your network name matches your access point's SSID.
5. Choose password type: "Hexadecimal"
6. HERE'S THE WEIRD PART: In the Password box, instead of just the password, you need to prefix it with the word 'restricted' and a space - man iwconfig to see why this works. However, the password box is NOT the correct place for this keyword.
IN the Password Box type:
where xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xx is the hex representation of the wep key you choose.
What a PITA! Guys, let's add a check box or something!